Thursday, February 2, 2017

Hopeful Expectation

As some of you know (and most do not), I underwent routine cataract surgery on February 10, 2016.

This led to numerous complications due to underlying factors that were not known to me or my doctor at the time of my surgery.

To say that this has been a difficult journey is definitely an understatement.  My physician and I have tried every treatment known to the pharmaceutical world (and some that were not).  

We are at the end of the line treatment-wise, and my life has changed immensely.  I am no longer able to do the majority of things that I used to do, at least for long periods of time.  

I recently was diagnosed and started treatment for rheumatoid arthritis which was one of the many underlying factors.  This autoimmune disease has affected not only my joints but also my eyes.  

I was an avid reader and loved to knit and crochet.  I can still do these things, but only for short bursts of time.  

As winter is upon us, and I've had to curtail a lot of the activities I used to enjoy, a kind of sadness has descended upon me.  

Life as I knew it has changed tremendously.  I feel old.  Granted, I am 63, but I never felt old until recently.  

I have to depend upon others for things I used to do myself, and that alone has contributed to this "oldness factor".  

So, I decided to start "Life Through My Eyes"--a daily blog--not based on sadness or age or disabilities.  A blog designed to help me, and hopefully you, focus on the positives of our lives.  We'll discuss our physical issues but not as our primary intent. 

There are many positives which are easy to lose sight of when you're dealing with physical issues.  Sadness and depression can come creeping in when you least expect it.  

But, together, we're going to combat this.  We're going to make the best of what we have and look to the future with a hopeful expectation.

See you tomorrow!

Beth

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment