Monday, February 6, 2017

Forgiveness

I was straightening some dresser drawers today, and I came upon a card that was sent to me in response to a prayer request I had made at church some 6 years ago.

The front of the card says:



Forgive Others

You will need compassion and empathy

"Those who cannot forgive others break the bridge
over which they themselves
must pass."

Confucious


The back of the card says:

We all get angry at times, even at the people who mean the most to us.  But imagine if we stayed angry at them and shut them out of our lives.  Our world wouldn't be the same.  Forgiveness diffuses our anger and opens a dialogue for a better relationship.  Even if the pain is hard to forget, forgiveness feels right because it liberates the soul. 


Simple Steps

Forgive from the heart first.  If you can find it in your heart to forgive, you can express it later in words and actions.

Don't hold a grudge.  Think of a grudge as a five hundred pound monster.  The effort required to hold it is enormous.  Write the feelings for your grudge in a letter, then toss it into the fireplace.  You'll feel more powerful than the beast itself.  



I remember asking for help forgiving this person so many years ago.  It was difficult, took time and effort on my part.  I knew this person was never going to say "I'm sorry" or even admit to any wrongdoing.

But, the bitterness and anger were eating me alive while this person was living life as if nothing had ever happened.

I had to let go, give the hurt and sorrow to God.  This struggle is not mine to deal with.  

I still have to have contact with this person from time to time.  I no longer feel the anger, the sorrow, the angst of my heart and mind. 

Forgiveness does not mean that the hurt done against us is right.  It gives us the freedom to move on with our lives and not be held hostage.

I think I'll hold on to this card.

Any thoughts?

See you tomorrow!

Beth

 

No comments:

Post a Comment